Personnel Office Identifier (POI)
« Back to Data Reporting Guidance
- Personnel Office Identifier (POI). A Personnel Office
Identifier is a unique number that is assigned by the Office of
Personnel Management (OPM) to identify a Federal civilian
personnel office that has been delegated authority to appoint and
separate employees, prepare personnel actions, maintain official
personnel records, and administer programs for staff compensation,
training and development, benefits and awards, and employee/labor
relations. POIs are not intended for tracking purposes.
- Use of Data. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
maintains a file of official personnel offices containing the
mailing addresses, names and telephone numbers of responsible
officials. Researchers and analysts at the Government
Accountability Office, Merit Systems Protection Board, Office of
Personnel Management and other agencies use the file to expedite
the distribution of employee surveys and to perform other studies
and analysis using the reporting data. Therefore, it is important
that agencies keep address and contact information current and
promptly report any new or terminated personnel offices to the
OPM. OPM also maintains a database of active POI codes which is
accessible to agencies throughout the Federal Government for their
perspective use. Users may access this database by clicking on
this link → POI codes.
- Reporting Requirements
- Agencies must complete and submit OPM Form 1396
(Request to Establish or Discontinue a Personnel Office Identifier
(POI) or to Change POI Information) when the following takes place:
- (1) New personnel offices are established.
- (2) Personnel offices are discontinued.
- (3) Changes are made to any of the requested information on the Form, including:
- mailing address of the personnel office,
- name or telephone number of the personnel officer, or
- name or telephone number of the contact for employee surveys.
- Request should be submitted via email to Juwan Samuel at Juwan.Samuel@opm.gov or
- Agencies will be notified via email when the requested action has been taken.